In a continued effort to increase the visibility of people of color in tech, Blacks In Technology (BIT) is seeking contributors for our media outlets.
Are you a blogger, podcaster, or multimedia expert looking for a new outlet? Here’s an opportunity to add your unique voice to the discussion of people of color in tech with an emphasis on their accomplishments and achievements.
What We’re Looking For
The BIT editorial team is looking for fresh contributions in the following forms:
- Articles – You’ll craft informative and newsworthy articles on cutting edge trends and the people and companies that are bringing them to reality. This could include conducting interviews, repurposing press releases, or sharing research of ongoing developments.
- Reviews and Commentaries – As an expert in your field, people value your opinion and insights; here’s a platform to share them. Share your thoughts on technology – the way we use it, and the way it affects us – in up-to-the-minute reports or in a regularly scheduled column. Reviews on books, movies, or other media are also fair game.
- Media Production – You’re a pro with cameras, field recorders, Adobe photoshop, and you’ve got the portfolio to prove it. Lend your media creation and editing skills to make BIT’s pictures pop and podcasts crisp and clear for listeners all around the world.
With great power comes great responsibility. If you’re on-boarded with the BIT editorial team, you’ll be asked to meet the following expectations:
- Schedule – At least one new contribution per month is expected depending on your role. If you want to do more, don’t let us hold you back! But at the least, you’ll be asked to submit at least one article, review, or other media item per month based on assignment. You’ll be asked to submit on time to meet scheduled deadlines for publication.
- Flexibility – Even though a schedule will be set, there’ll be need for flexibility. With the fast pace of technology, there will be opportunities to cover news and events that supercede our editorial schedule. If you can bend to the current of the ever changing winds of tech without breaking, you’ll be right at home on our staff.
What’s in it for You
While contributing to BIT is fulfilling all by itself, there are other benefits as well. Here are just a few:
- National Exposure – BIT is a nationally recognized organization with a network that reaches far and wide. Get your content in front of our 3000+ website subscribers, over 12,000 Twitter followers, and thousands of podcast listeners.
- Press Access – BIT partners with organizations holding conferences and events around the world. As a member of the BIT editorial team, you may be provided with inside access only available to media and press. You’ll be able to get inside scoops, conduct exclusive interviews, have unique experiences, and more.
- Change Agent – At Blacks In Technology we firmly believe that if we don’t take control of how people of color are portrayed in the media, someone else will. When that happens, it may not be in our favor. That’s why we want to enable our contributors to be the voice of change in how black men and women are represented and covered in the tech space. You will have the opportunity to be a part of establishing a positive narrative around our creation, innovation, and use of technology.
Let’s Get Started!
If this opportunity sounds interesting to you, then let’s get started! Let us know you’re interested by filling out the following form. You’ll be asked for your name and contact information so we can get back to you. You’ll also be asked to share details on your experience in writing and media creation, the role you are most interested in, and the type of content you’d like to see on BIT’s outlets.
Once we receive your information, we’ll be in touch to figure out the best way for you to work with BIT.
If you have questions or concerns about expressing your interest, please let us know. Don’t worry if you feel like you don’t have enough experience or perhaps your interests are in other areas including marketing, social media, or graphic design. You’re still encouraged to let us know your interest so we can figure out how to bring you on board and best apply your skills.
All of us at BIT are looking forward to working with you!